What is Black Mold?
The Dangers of Black Mold
You may have heard of black mold before, but do you really know what it is and why it’s so dangerous? Black mold, or Stachybotrys chartarum, is a type of fungus that commonly grows in homes and other buildings. While it’s not the only type of mold that can be found indoors, it’s one of the most dangerous—and it’s important to be able to identify it so you can take steps to remove it from your home.
What Does Black Mold Look Like?
Black mold usually has a greenish-black or dark brown appearance and a slimy texture. It can often be found growing on walls, ceilings, or other surfaces where there has been water damage or high humidity.
Why Is Black Mold So Dangerous?
Mold spores are tiny particles that float through the air and can enter your lungs when you breathe. Some people are more sensitive to mold than others and may experience symptoms like coughing, sneezing, watery eyes, and difficulty breathing when they’re exposed to it. In extreme cases, black mold exposure can even lead to death.
How Can You Prevent Black Mold from Growing in Your Home?
The best way to prevent black mold is to control moisture and humidity levels in your home. Be sure to fix any leaks promptly and keep areas like your bathroom and basement well-ventilated. If you do find black mold growing in your home, it’s important to get rid of it as quickly as possible to avoid health risks.
Black mold is a potentially dangerous type of fungus that commonly grows in homes and other buildings. While it’s not the only type of mold that can be found indoors, it’s one of the most dangerous—and it’s important to be able to identify it so you can take steps to remove it from your home. If you think you may have black mold in your home, be sure to contact a professional for help with removal.